Rooflights are a great way of providing a safe and secure means of accessing a roof and increasing usable roof space by converting flat roofed areas into terraces and roof gardens, they can also be installed to provide less frequent access to a roof area in order to complete maintenance tasks. When you are considering access to a roof space there are several factors that should be taken into account in order to comply with the Building Regulations.
Approved Document K supports Part K: Protection from falling, collision and impact and was last updated on 6th April 2013 for use in England. Glazing Vision’s guide is designed to clarify everything you need to know about how to specify rooflights that comply with Approved Document K.
The guide will cover the following:
– What is the Approved Document K?
– How does Part K affect rooflight specification?
– Requirement K1 and maintenance access?
– Requirement K1 and regular / terrace access
– Landings for stairs, constuction of steps, guards and safety barriers, head room, protection against impact